Thank you for your interest in the 26th Spirit Of Free Beer Homebrew Competition organized by Brewers United For Real Potables (BURP), Beltsville, MD.
You only need to register your information once and can return to this site to enter more brews or edit the brews you've entered. You can even pay your entry fees online if you wish.
Judge and Steward Registration is Open
If you have not registered and are willing to be a volunteer, please register.
If you have registered, log in and then choose Edit Account from the My Account menu indicated by the icon on the top menu.
- On-line registration is required.
- There is no limit on the number of entries. More than one entry may be made per sub-category, however they must be from different fermentations or of different ingredients. Identify the different entries on the entry form and bottle labels (for example, IPA#1, IPA#2, etc.).
- Please list any and all Co-Brewers under the "General" heading on the "Add an Entry" page.
- BEER entries shall consist of (3) three 10-12 oz. bottles. All beers will be transported in standard 4x6-pack case boxes. Irregular shaped bottles require special handling and increase the risk of accidental mishandling. Bottles may be brown or green glass and must be free of any labels. In addition, these should not have raised glass designs, etched logos, or any other identifying marks. Bottle caps must be either plain or blacked out with a magic marker. Attach the bottle label to each bottle with a rubber band.
- CIDER and MEAD entries may also consist of (3) three 10-12 oz. bottles. However, because cider and mead makers often use larger bottles, cider and mead entries only will also be accepted in 22 oz bomber bottles (2 required) or 750 ml wine or champagne bottles (1 required). As with beer entries, these larger bottles should be free of all identifying marks, and caps (if used) should be either plain or blacked out. Attach the bottle label to each bottle entered with a rubber band.
- All entries must be brewed at home. Beer brewed in a Brew on Premise is acceptable, but beer brewed in a commercial brewery will not be accepted.
- All entries become the property of Brewers United for Real Potables.
- It is the entrant's responsibility to enter his or her beer, cider, or mead in the proper category, as specified in the 2015 BJCP "Style Guidelines." No entry will be reclassified. For additional details, refer to the guidelines at the BJCP website:
- While it is not necessary to provide full recipe information for each entry, those wishing to qualify for the Bill Moe Award for the best extract-based beer should specify that their entry is extract-based.
- Entries in some categories/sub-categories need to specify special ingredients and/or classic style information on the entry form and bottle labels. See the 2015 BJCP guidelines for more info.
- All CIDER entries must include sweetness and carbonation information on the entry form and bottle labels. All MEAD entries must include sweetness, carbonation, and strength information.
- The entry fee is eight dollars ($8.00) per entry. Payment will only be accepted using PayPal (which also accepts credit cards). When dropping off or sending bottles, please attach your PayPal or credit card receipt.
- Registration deadline is Thursday, Apr 5. Mail and homebrew shop drop-offs must be received by close of business on Apr 5.
- Judging will be done in closed sessions on Apr 13 and 14.
- Winners will be posted on this site by 11:00 PM on Apr 14. Scoresheets will be available on the website as soon as possible thereafter. Medals and prizes will be distributed at 1:00 PM at the BURP meeting in Rockville, MD on Apr 21.
- Any questions about the competition regulations, procedures, awards, etc., should be directed to the organizer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can send an email to any of the following individuals via Contact.
- Colleen Cannon — Prize Coordinator
- Mark Raker — Steward Coordinator
- Mike Reinitz — Judge Coordinator
- Bob Rouse — Registrar
- Dave White — Competition Organizer
Brewers United For Real Potables (BURP) is proud to have the following sponsors for the 26th Spirit Of Free Beer Homebrew Competition.